She's not Bad, She's Misunderstood.

We have kind of a bad dog. She is one year old and her name is Khloe Donut (She may thank our 6 year old for her middle name.) and we got her from a great local no-kill shelter a few weeks ago. She's small, playful, a HUGE snuggly lovebug, is very good about knowing her place with our older dog, and...

Photobucket

She's as dumb as rocks.

Photobucket


She is still not 100% housebroken, partly because she doesn't like to walk on grass that is over one half of an inch long, she is borderline hyper, but what is really bad is that she chews. Mainly the kids' beloved plastic toys. While this is decreasing the amount of "junk" toys in the house (yay!), it's also upsetting to the kids when something they really like (but failed to protect! Ahem!) is found in chewed up bits and pieces on the floor. This is where pet experts will point out that her less than choice behavior is somehow MY fault, but whatever.

But what is actually most concerning to me is that she is kind of eating these plastic bits. I know because, well... I see her poop. My gosh, you'd think pooping chewed up pieces of Pokemon figures would make you think twice about eating something like it again!

I actually took a picture of some really plastic-filled poop, but I decided it wouldn't be polite to post it. You're welcome.

So, my concern as a caring pet parent is that she's going to injure something on the inside. I don't know what to do... I've given her an assortment of dog-friendly chew things. She goes for a walk or a run almost every day. Any ideas, anyone?

Photobucket

xoxo,


3 comments:

  1. I have an 9 year old Cairn Terrier, Bogart and he is pretty misunderstood too. He is also dumb as rocks. When he turned 3 he finally stopped eating things, my shoes, drywall, and baseboards. I don't know why he busted stopped! We had used Bitter Apple Spray so we think that was a contributor. We sprayed that stuff EVERYWHERE!!! It does not smell but apparently tastes horrible. We also use a kong, that funky red beehive like toy. We fill it with cheese and treats and he gets so obsessed with getting the food out he does not pay attention to anything else. Good luck. She is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Scooter (Gordon Setter Collie mix)was a huge chewer - the doggie tough toys he had ripped apart or broke in pieces. We had a scare with a clothes pin - thought he ate the metal piece. He did not! I would do the Kong Toy - treats and peanut butter we fill ours with. Scooter has his own big jar of peanut butter as well. He goes through that much! He is obsessed with it n does not pay attention to anything around him too. He now brings it to me to fill while we watch TV. It took a good 3 years for him to calm down, noticeable improvement through the years. The vet even told us about 3 years. If she chews up her dog toys too: the blue orca brand I want to say Scooter was never able to destroy - taking out the material yes, chewing the toy to bits, no. You can't miss the blue toys at the pet store.
    Good luck! Scooter is 6 now, his favorite toy is the kong - there is 1 shaped like a football n slide treats in that way n the beehive one too.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you again for your flawless service, and I look forward to working with you in the future.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis